Advances in Communication
- This was the era of change.
- Telephones were extremely popular in Canada and remain that way until this day.
- In 1901 there were 300,000 users which is more per capita then anywhere in the World.
- Telephone operators had a tough job as they worked long hours with heavy headsets.
- First wireless telegraph was received in Canada in 1901 (Guglielmo Marconi), they tried to do this across the Atlantic ocean.
- The closest province to the Atlantic was Newfoundland.
- In 1907 A Canadian Frederick Fessenden had transmitted the first radio broadcast of music and voice, became mainstream in the 1920s.
- By 1912 radios were used in shipping including saved lives in the Titanic disaster.
- Moving pictures were also being introduced (1896 is the first), by the 1920s they were showing movies such as these.
- 1927 was the year that combined sound with the pictures.
The introduction of this type of technology into Canada was extremely popular, in fact had the most users world wide. This technology advanced over time leading to radio broadcasts and latter on movies which eventually included sound.