The oregon Territory
- Land claimed by both the United States and Great Britain.
- This was an ongoing dispute until the Treaty of 1846, which set the boundary at the 49th parallel, where it is today.
- The Oregon Territory spanned the modern states of Idaho, Oregon and Washington, along with the western coast of Canada, all the way up to the border of Russian Alaska.
- Both Great Britain and America claimed the territory as their own, initially Spain wanted this province also.
- American citizens began to inhabit the area in large numbers in the Oregon Territory after travelling on the Oregon trail.
- The belif was spurred by the American idea of Manifest Destiny, as they wanted to controll to the whole of the north of the north American territory.
- Britain finally gave up this province to Canada.
This territory was responsible for continuous disputes between nations over which coutry owned this land, rightfully it was Britians but America wanted to controll the whole of Northern America, finally it was decided that the land would be divided in two; at the 49th parallel.