The Rise Of VAncouver
- Vancouver was the only major BC town to not grow because of the Gold Rush or Fur Trade
- It arose because of the terminus witch was located on the Burrard Inlet (Port Moody)
- It started out as a small saw mill town (Hastings and Moody mills)
- “Gassy” Jack Deighton opened a saloon for the mill workers to retire after a long day
- The area became known as Granville, but the locals called it Gastown after Gassy Jack
- It was renamed Vancouver
The only major town in BC that did not grow due to the fur trade or Gold rush. It rose due to the CPR terminus which is located on that spot.