- James Douglas was the Chief Factor for Hudson Bay Company.
- He married a native woman nammed Amelia
- He had a large man in stature with was unusal or irregualr at the time making him far taller than other men of his time.
- He went on the becomethe 2nd Governor of Crown Colony of Vancouver Island where he constructed the Legislative Assembly in Victoria.
- He was responsible for signing many treaties with the natives of Vancouver Island, often recognizing their title to the land. These treaties were latter acredited to him and were called the Douglas Treaties.
- Whilst incharge maintained justice during the wild times of the gold rush.
- Became governor of both colonies.
- When he retired in 1864 he was replaced by Frederick Seymour in B.C. and Arthur Kennedy.
James Douglas was a highly inflencial man who was a key member of the Hudson Bay Company and who bacame the second governor of the the crown colony of Vancouver Island and who was responsible for setting up a range of things including various treaties between the natives.